Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Snickerdoodles


This has never happened before, but for some strange reason, this season I'm somehow associating football with cookies. I'm not sure why that is, but on Sunday we'll make it halfway through whatever one o'clock game we're watching and I'll get the irresistible urge to bake cookies. It's so weird, but who am I to say no to baking cookies?

Football also makes me want true fall weather so badly that I'll do anything I can to emulate that fall feeling. In this case, that means I'm making the quintessential fall cookie--snickerdoodles! Justin, however, insists that snickerdoodles are a winter cookie because that's the only time he ever got them as a kid, but I told him he's crazy. They're coated in cinnamon; they're a fall cookie.

My biggest problem with snickerdoodles is that almost every recipe I've ever seen calls for cream of tartar. It's also literally the only recipe I ever want to make that calls for cream of tartar, and therefore, I just can't justify buying it only for making snickerdoodles a couple times a year. When going through all Justin's mom's recipes that we love, I discovered that her snickerdoodle recipe uses regular baking powder instead of cream of tartar. Score one for moms! The only change I really made to her recipe is that I added some raw sugar to the coating mixture because I like the bit of crunch that it gives the outside of the cookies, but it's really completely optional.


Ingredients

1 c butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 c sugar, divided
2 eggs
2 3/4 c flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp raw sugar, optional


Directions

Melt butter. Mix in 1 1/2 c sugar and eggs. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl, and then add to butter mixture, stirring until well-combined. Refrigerate for one hour.

Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon and raw sugar if desired. Form spoon-sized balls of dough, and roll each ball in cinnamon sugar to lightly coat. Place on greased cookie sheet, and bake at 375 F for 8-12 minutes.


Servings: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!