Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Jambalaya Grits


I don't know where my mom found this recipe. I just know that it's amazing. She started making this probably sometime when I was in high school, so even though it's not one of those "childhood favorite" kind of foods, it's still one of my ultimate comfort foods.

If you haven't gathered this by now, I love grits. Growing up in the south will do that to you. If you don't like grits, it's probably because you've only ever had the bland kind they serve with breakfast at restaurants. Grits need lots of salt and lots of love to make them delicious. Jambalaya grits are special because they get even more love. They get chicken. And sausage. And ham. And mozzarella cheese. Oh my. I always make this as a dinner, but I suppose it would be just as delicious as a breakfast or brunch item. Be warned though; this recipe does make a decent bit of food, so make sure you're hungry--you'll want to eat all of it. I promise.


Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 c diced onion
1/2 c diced bell pepper
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb diced ham
1 lb andouille or smoked sausage
1 lb chicken breasts, diced
1 c beef broth
6 c milk
2 1/2 - 3 c quick grits (not instant)
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere's suggested)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt


Directions

In a large pot with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add in onions, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes. Add chicken, ham, and sausage, and cook until chicken is no longer pink.

Add beef broth and milk, and bring to a gentle boil. Add grits, and stir well. Cover, and cook according to time listed on package (usually either 3 or 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Add cheese, cajun seasoning, pepper, and salt, and stir well. Serve hot.


Servings: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!