Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Chicken & Noodles


My younger sister is getting married next month, and I've been helping her with some of the paper goods that she needs (invitations, place cards, programs, etc.) for the wedding and reception. For one of the projects, we were discussing her reception menu, and she mentioned chicken and noodles. I've been craving chicken and noodles ever since then, so I finally gave in and made some. I didn't actually have a chicken and noodles recipe of my own, so I tried out one that I found online. While it wasn't a perfect recipe, it was a good first attempt. Next time I need to find a way to make it saucier. I want a thick, creamy sauce, almost like a gravy but not quite, on my chicken and noodles, and this just didn't quite do it for me. The flavor was good, but I just need to figure out the sauce.

That being said, I still ate it all up, and Justin liked it a lot, too. He compared it to chicken noodle soup without all the broth, and since that's pretty much how he wants his soup, he was completely fine with this recipe. Sometime down the road I'll give it another try, but for now, I thought I'd go ahead and share the recipe with you anyway. Be forewarned though; this makes a huge pot full of chicken and noodles. It all just barely fit in my 8 quart pot.


Ingredients

64 ounces chicken broth
3 chicken bouillon cubes (optional)
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 c diced carrot
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
24 ounces egg noodles
12 ounces evaporated milk
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 to 1-1/2 pounds cooked, shredded chicken
Salt


Directions

Add chicken broth, bouillon cubes (if desired), onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, carrot, poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper to a large pot. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add egg noodles and cook until done, 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Combine evaporated milk and cornstarch, whisking until well-combined. Add evaporated milk mixture to the pot, and stir well. Return to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shredded chicken and stir to combine. Heat an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Add salt if desired.


Servings: 10


Recipe adapted from Deep South Dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!