Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Mushroom Soup


Mushrooms are another one of those things that I really love but that Justin could really live without. He'll eat them in various recipes if they're chopped up pretty small, but he definitely doesn't want to eat soup based entirely around them. I knew that this was something I wanted to make while he's out of town, and I was not disappointed.

I've only tried making mushroom soup once before, and I didn't love it. It wasn't creamy enough or mushroom-y enough for me. This one was much better. It would make a good first course, but I just ate it as dinner along with some crusty bread. I still think it would be even better with a few additions; my favorite mushroom soup ever was one we had at the coffee shop where I worked which was made with brie and madeira wine, so I think next time I'll try adding those and see how it comes out. However, if you just want a basic, tasty, creamy mushroom soup recipe, this is it.


Ingredients

12 ounces sliced mushrooms, divided
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon thyme
Salt
Pepper


Directions

Add 8 ounces mushrooms, onion, and chicken broth to a pot and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Pour into blender and purée until smooth.

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, and sauté remaining mushrooms until tender. Add flour, stirring well, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in mushroom purée, half and half, milk, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.


Servings: 2


Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!