Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Taco Pizza


I recently discovered balls of pre-made pizza dough at the grocery store. Normally when Justin and I have wanted to make pizza, we've used the Pillsbury pizza dough. It's not perfect, but I like it better than the pre-made, packaged pizza crusts they sell at the grocery store. Since we moved here, however, I'd noticed these balls of fresh pizza dough and wanted to try it out. We made some cheese pizza with it a couple weeks ago and fell in love before it even came out of the oven--it smelled that good.

Trying to come up with dinner ideas, I suggested calzones. Justin didn't want to do just regular pizza topping-filled calzones though; he decided he wanted Mexican calzones. I love Mexican food but didn't really feel all that in to this idea for whatever reason. However, I couldn't come up with anything better, so Mexican it was. They ended up turning in to pizzas when I actually made them though. Either way, oh my am I glad that I said yes to this idea. We both agree that we need to make this again really soon.


Ingredients

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 oz taco seasoning
3/4 c diced tomatoes
1/4 c onion
16 oz ball of pizza dough
16 oz refried beans
1 c shredded cheddar
1/2 c corn


Directions

Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain. Return to pan and add taco seasoning and 1/4 c of water. Stir well. Allow water to cook out. Add diced tomatoes and onion, and heat through.

On a lightly floured surface, roll/stretch the pizza dough to your desired thickness. Place on a baking pan and top with refried beans (you may not need all 16 oz depending on the size of your pizza crust). Cover with ground beef mixture. Top with cheese and corn. Bake at 400 F for 12-16 minutes, until both cheese and crust have begun to brown.

Servings: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!