Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lasagna Soup


Sorry for the lack of posts again lately. I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month, and trying to write 50,000 words in 30 days is surprisingly time-consuming. With Thanksgiving coming up, too, I wouldn't expect too many posts in the next couple weeks if I were you. That being said, let's get on with it.

I'd like to introduce you to one of my new favorite soups. It's really easy to make, and it tastes delicious. I expected to enjoy this recipe, but I didn't expect to love it quite as much as I do. Justin decided as we were eating the leftovers that it kind of tastes like the adult version of spaghetti-o's, which is probably why I'm in love with it. Spaghetti-o's are one of my inner child's ultimate favorite foods--yes they're terrible for you, I know, but I really don't care. If you're not a fan of canned pasta, however, don't be scared into not trying this recipe. It's really nothing like spaghetti-o's; Justin just thought that the sauce in particular reminded him of it a bit, but in a good way, I swear. Give it a try, and see what you think!

I should note that I used links of turkey Italian sausage, but you can use pork, chicken, or turkey, and it can be ground or in links. It really just depends on your personal preference. If you use links, you can remove the casings as I did (so it's pretty much just ground sausage) or cut them into slices.


Ingredients

1 pound Italian sausage
3/4 cup diced onion
1/3 cup diced bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
30 ounces petite diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
8 cups chicken broth
30 ounces tomato sauce
8 ounces lasagna noodles
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese


Directions

Cook Italian sausage in a large pot over medium heat until cooked through. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (don't drain the cans first), sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, break lasanga noodles into bite-sized pieces. Bring soup back to a boil and add noodle pieces. Cook until noodles reach desired doneness, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella until melted.


Servings: 6


Recipe adapted from the Deen Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!