Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Buttercream Fudge


Before I get to the recipe, I just want to apologize for the lack of updates in the past couple weeks. Justin and I were kind of busy for a bit there. Our first wedding anniversary was also earlier this month, and so we were out and about some, including a day trip to Williamsburg to go ziplining. (It was great fun, by the way--sometimes terrifying, but great fun.) Then I had a few recipes that I tried out and intended to post. However, they just didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, and I didn't want to post anything that I thought was subpar. A lot of things combined to cause my lack of posts. Either way, I'm back now, and hopefully I should be back to posting with semi-regularity.

My first post back is this lovely, simple fudge. It tastes like buttercream frosting, and just for Halloween, I made it in layers that look like candy corn. I've made fudge from scratch before, and I even have a specific pot that I refer to as my fudge pot. It was given to me by my mom, and it's the only pot she ever used to make fudge. (It's a Club aluminium pot with a super thick bottom that makes it a lot more difficult to accidentally burn whatever anything delicate that you make in it.) Still, fudge can be somewhat of a hassle to make from scratch. You have to make sure it gets to the exact right temperature, or it won't set properly. It can't be too humid out, or it won't set properly. You can't look at it wrong, or it won't set properly. You get the idea. This fudge involves none of that. Honestly, the most difficult and time-consuming part of this process was cutting it into triangles. This is seriously the easiest dessert you will ever make. You have no excuse not to make a batch or three.


Ingredients

12 oz white chocolate chips/vanilla almond bark
16 oz pkg of vanilla frosting (not the whipped kind)
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1/4 tsp salt
Yellow food coloring gel
Red food coloring gel


Directions

Place the white chocolate in a large bowl, and microwave for one minute. Stir, and microwave for an additional thirty seconds. Stir well. Microwave in fifteen second increments, stirring well after each, until chocolate is just melted. Do not overheat--white chocolate scorches easily. Mix in the frosting. Heat for fifteen seconds, and then stir until well combined. Add butter flavoring and salt. If mixture is still too thick to pour, heat for an additional fifteen seconds, and stir well.

Pour approximately 1/3 of the mixture into a wax paper- or foil-lined, square cake pan. Use a spatula to spread the mixture to evenly coat the entire bottom of the pan, and then place the pan in the freezer. Add yellow food coloring to the remaining chocolate mixture a little at a time, until the desired color is reached.

Remove the pan from the freezer once the fudge layer is solid enough to support a second layer, about 3 minutes. Reheat the yellow mixture for fifteen seconds, if needed, and then pour half of the remaining mixture on top of the white fudge layer. Use a spatula to spread the yellow layer to evenly coat the white layer. Place the pan back in the freezer. Add red food coloring to the remaining mixture a little at a time, until the desired color is reached. (Start out with very little--red food coloring tends to be fairly strong, and you can't really do anything about it if you accidentally over do it.) Repeat the same process with this orange mixture, using all of the remaining mixture to make the final layer of fudge.

Refrigerate the fudge for at least 1 hour before cutting. Cut fudge into 1/2"-3/4" wide strips. Turn each strip on to its side so that all three layers are visible, and cut into triangle shapes. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator, allowing to come to room temperature before serving.


Servings: 50


Recipe from Red Barn Candle Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!