Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chopped Challenge #5, Part 2: White Cheddar Bread Pudding


When I worked at the coffee shop, my boss would always talk about taking the leftover croissants and making a savory bread pudding with them. He never did. He'd make chocolate bread pudding but never a savory one. Going into this challenge, I knew because of that that savory bread pudding was a thing, but I'd never actually had it. (I'd never even had normal, dessert bread pudding until I made this one for Thanksgiving last year.) I knew that this is what I wanted to try to make though, but I wasn't sure how it would come out.

Now that I've made it, I think it might be one of my new favorite things. Justin seemed a little weirded out by it because he said that the texture reminded him a little bit of quiche. (He doesn't like the texture of baked eggs at all, which is really sad because I love quiche.) That being said, he still ate it, so I guess that's something. I, however, can't wait to make this again. It was fluffy and flavorful and filled with cheese & garlic goodness. I might have to try to adapt it into a dinner recipe of its own. Throw in some more veggies and some meat and see where it takes me.


Ingredients

1 pkg frozen Texas toast garlic bread
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 c diced onion
1/4 c diced bell pepper
2/3 c diced mushrooms
3 eggs
1 c half and half
1/4 c milk
1/2 tsp pepper
4 oz white cheddar, shredded


Directions

Bake Texas toast according to package directions, flipping slices over halfway through baking. Allow to cool. Cut into cubes, and place in a large bowl. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add onion and bell pepper and cook 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Scoop veggie mixture into bowl with bread cubes, draining out any remaining liquid.

In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, half and half, milk, and pepper. Pour over bread cubes, and gently stir to coat. Fold in shredded cheese. Spoon into individual ramekins or a medium-sized baking dish. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit for 15 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 F for 30-45 minutes, until pudding is firm and top is golden.


Servings: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!