Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chicken & Mushroom-Stuffed Crepes with Mornay Sauce


These particular dinner crepes were inspired by Upland, a brewery/restaurant in Bloomington, IN. Before the first time we ate there, I checked out their menu online and became obsessed with their Frenchiladas. They stuffed crepes with roasted chicken and seared, local oyster mushrooms and then topped them off with a Gruyere cheese sauce. It sounded amazing! Of course, they didn't have that option on the menu anymore when we got there, and instead I had to settle for the equally amazing Wit Mac and Cheese, made with their wheat beer. (After dinner we also had the best ice cream we've ever had, bacon ice cream, made by another Bloomington institution, the Chocolate Moose.) I knew after that day that I would have to make my own Frenchiladas some day, and so when I decided to try my hand at making crepes, I knew that this was the first way I wanted to stuff them. That first time I made them exactly as described on Upland's menu, and they were every bit as good as I had hoped. I've tweaked the recipe a bit since then, and the result is what you see here.


Ingredients

Crepes
8 savory crepes (Get the recipe here.)
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c white wine
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c onion, diced
1/2 c bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 c mushrooms, diced
2 tbsp olive oil

Mornay sauce
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
2 c milk
6 oz white cheddar, grated
salt
white pepper


Directions

Put chicken, white wine, chicken broth, onion, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper in a slow-cooker. Cook on low 6 hours. Shred chicken breasts and return to crock pot. Cook on low for an additional hour. Drain chicken mixture.

In a sauté pan over medium heat, combine mushrooms with olive oil, and heat through, about 3 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt butter for Mornay sauce over medium heat. Add flour, mixing well, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk gradually, whisking until well-combined. Continue to cook until thickened and bubbly, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and add grated cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.

Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture in a crepe, and top with mushrooms. Roll crepe, and place in a lightly greased baking dish. Repeat with remaining crepes. Pour Mornay sauce over crepes, and bake until sauce is bubbly, 10-15 minutes.


Servings: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about this post? I'd love to hear them!